What is sleep, and why do all organisms with lifespans over a day or so require it? The topic is deceptive, as the more one digs into it, the more clear it becomes that sleep affects every facet of our health and wellbeing. The catalyst for this month’s reading list is a book entitled Why we Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams, by Matthew Walker. This comes highly recommended by one our of regular discussion group members, and so far I find it both insightful and mesmerizing (though the more I read, the more it’s clear I should be sleeping rather than reading books like this late at night!).
Here’s the rest of this month’s starter list:
- Book: Dreamland: Adventures in the Strange Science of Sleep – David K. Randall
- Podcast and transcript: Sleep Scientist Warns Against Walking Through Life ‘In An Underslept State’ – Fresh Air (NPR) – Terry Gross interviews Matthew Walker mentioned above.
- Article: While We Sleep, Our Mind Goes on an Amazing Journey – National Geographic.
- Article: How to Sleep – The Atlantic.
- Article: Insomnia: Why your brain may sleep without even knowing it – Medical News Today
- Article: I once tried to cheat sleep, and for a year I succeeded – Quartz
- Wikipedia: Profile of the book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sleep – a classic by Philip K. Dick (who happens to be my favorite sci-fi author) upon which the movie Blade Runner was based.