How do we live a life of purpose? That’s a question that goes back to time immemorial. Thinking how the average male life expectancy in the U.S. was about 47 years for a white male circa 1900, it’s somewhat mind-blowing to know the first child expected to live 150 years has already been born!
To me, the “gig economy” is a partial manifestation of purpose-based living in lockstep with our much longer lifespans. Living life as a portfolio, so to speak (work, learning, volunteer, etc.) provides room to experiment, nurture and wind down elements of that portfolio as our needs and capabilities evolve. While terrifying at times to not have the perceived safety net of lifetime employment (note the word ‘perceived’), the flip side is living more fully with deeper meaning and purpose.
Here’s our starter list for reading and discussion:
- Book: Life on Purpose
- 13 Things That Will Happen When You “Level-Up” As A Person
- The Secret to Happiness Is Helping Others
- Yale’s Most Popular Class Ever Teaches How to Live a Happier Life (Here’s What Students Learn)
- Japan May Have Worked Out The Secret Formula For A Happy Life
- 11 Billion Reasons The Self Help Industry Doesn’t Want You To Know The Truth About Happiness
- Book: The End of Old Age – Living a Longer, More Purposeful Life
- Finding Meaning and Happiness in Old Age
- Podcast: How to Find Your Life’s Purpose