The steel industry grew from modest beginnings to become one of the most critical industries on the planet, touching every aspect of our lives.
This month’s starter information includes links to books tracing the rise of the industry and a more contemporary rebirth kicking in during the 80’s and 90’s. Today, the industry is in its most severe decline in 50 years.
While the readings focus on a U.S. perspective, the implications of course are very much global in scope.
- Book: American Steel – by Richard Preston
- Book: Meet you in Hell: Andrew Carnegie, Henry Clay Frick, and the Bitter Partnership That Changed America – by Les Standiford
- Report: Losing strength: US steel industry analysis
- Article/Video: Al-Jazeera: The global steel industry: What’s behind the downturn?
- Article: CNN: The crisis facing the U.S. steel industry.